Holy Spirit Church
The Holy Spirit Church is the oldest church of the Valle Aurina/Ahrntal. The church is situated at the furthest reaches of the Valle Aurina/Ahrntal, leaning against a large rock. It was built around 1455, and was enlarged and converted to its current form in the 16th century. The Holy Spirit Church is a sacred place, partly through its history and partly through many pious believers of many generations. It is not known when the first church was built for the many travelers who used in particular the Krimmler Tauern as a passage to get in the Pinzgau and Salzburg. It is sure that cardinal Nikolaus Cusanus of Bressanone/Brixen dedicated the church and the cemetery in 1455.This was necessary for the people who freezed to death passing the Alps or who died in another way, or for the miners of the Predoi copper mine. In 1500 the church was extended. In the last 10 years much restauration work has been carried out. Unfortunately, many pieces of art have been removed for security reasons. Even the pilgrimage image was removed for some years, but it returned in 1981 to the church, protected by a safe and underlined in its importance by a corona.
Brunico/Bruneck - Casere/Kasern 42 km